Monday 7 May 2018

Teachers' High Street Holidays


I'm getting heartily fed up of hearing people say; "Ah, but teachers work during their holidays." Heard it again on the radio yesterday during some discussion. Christ - they get 12 weeks holiday a year - I'd expect them to work for most of that so they end up with 25 or 30 days actual holiday, just like the rest of us. It's not as if they're paid any less for having 12 weeks holiday - I know, I was married to one for 10 years.


Whatever happened to car sunroofs? Decades ago there wasn't a car on the road without a plastic or glass pane that could be opened. Now you don't see any, except on classic cars or old rot-boxes. Was is the advent of the now ubiquitous air conditioning that heralded their demise, or the fact one now has to pay for any extras and a sunroof is an extra too far?

Went to visit Southport yesterday; the town where I was brought up. Lord Street was one called the most elegant street in Europe, but these days it comprises a motley array of charity shops, boarded up shops and a proliferation of pavement cafes. The latter is an innovation I never thought would be allowed by the council and does, I admit, give the place a pleasant, continental air, but if the high street is the gauge of a nation's health, then we're not doing so well.






No comments: