Thursday 31 August 2017

Freedom


Today is a momentous one in our lives - we are paying of the last £20k of our mortgage and becoming free of any debt. At age 62 that's rather late in life - I should originally have been mortgage-free in my early 50s but, with two divorces behind me, that was not going to happen.

Our needs are relatively small and now a little money will go a very long way - I can work to live, rather living to work. The next item on the agenda is a winnebago with which to enjoy a well earned retirement in a couple of years, but we're saving for that and not getting one on tick. Debt is the scourge of modern society.


I wonder if Princess Diana ever had a mortgage. No doubt the financial columns in today's news media will investigate. There's no facet of her life they've not investigated over the last few days. It's nauseating and trivial.


7 comments:

Vaughan said...

Pikey

Chairman Bill said...

No she wasn't - she was the People's Princess...

A Heron's View said...

O trying to reflect the comment has failed, for
obviously VA is referring to you having a house on wheels.

Steve Borthwick said...

"Peoples Parasite" more like...

Chairman Bill said...

We know each other well, Mel. We went to the same school. I was being obtuse, as always.

Chairman Bill said...

You mean you didn't cry hysterically? No, neither did I...

Steve Borthwick said...

No, I was with Hitchens on the subject of Diana i.e. "a gold-digger desperate to join the millionaire white-trash jet-set", clearly not a "popular" opinion.