Saturday 12 September 2015

The Written Word


Click on a story on the BBC News website, and the first thing that appears is the text of the story, of which you can just about catch the first couple of words before it quickly moves down the page as a video materialises.

The video clip dominates the site now - but I don't want to listen to a video clip, I'd much rather read the story, added to which I tend to read the news early in the morning and prefer not to wake the rest of the inhabitants of the house with video clips. I also find it easy to scan an article to find what I'm looking for; that's almost impossible with a video clip.

OK - I understand that in this age of Youtube and sound bites some people have problems reading. Perhaps the BBC could provide a clickable icon that presets your preference for either writing or video.


1 comment:

Roger said...

That's a damned good idea.