Saturday 8 March 2014

Jehova's Witnesses Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact


Had our local Jehova's Witnesses around yesterday. Nice people really. They actually come across as quite sane - if you can get them off the subject of religion that is, which I usually manage to do.

My usual tactic is to listen politely to the first minute or so of their loopy 'message' and then divert them the second a suitable diversionary word is uttered by them. Yesterday it was the NHS - of course everyone likes to have a moan about the NHS, so that was an easy one. Damned if I can remember the trigger word, although they were going on about the Book of Revelation, which must have been written by a smack-head on a particularly nasty trip.

The down side was I got a half hour ear-bashing about the failings of the NHS. I did, however, manage to counter this with another diversion into home baked bread; I was on firm ground and gave them a boring 15 minutes on sourdough starters and the correct mix for Peshwari naan stuffing.

Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact - that just popped into my head while contemplating Germany's refusal to join the rest of the EU to impose sanctions on Russia. Just looked up "Merkel Molotov-Ribbentrop" on Google and it seems I'm not the only one thinking along these lines, although it's being called the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pipeline.

I haven't seen a single, reliable report yet of ethnic Russian Crimeans being threatened by Ukrainians. Quite the reverse - the Russians seem to be doing all the threatening - or should that be goading..

How can the majority of Russian people have actually voted for Putin? I guess the simple answer is they didn't - just another voting irregularity.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - this time we did not invade !

Chairman Bill said...

That depends on who you are.

Anonymous said...

A Francoian.

Anonymous said...

With an "n", sorry.
"Franconian" is the word.

Chairman Bill said...

Aligned with Napoleon?